Pizza dough is one of those recipes that are so easy to make with ingredients easily found in any kitchen. The dough can be made to your own preferences whether it’s extra crispy, whole wheat or flavoured. But best of all, it’s fun to gather family and friends together to make these little italian staples.
Prep time: 3.5 hours
Yields: 2 medium sized pizzas
3 cups of all purpose flour and some extra for flouring surfaces
1 package of active dry yeast
1 tablespoon of olive oil (you may used a flavoured olive oil for a twist!)
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of honey
1 cup of warm water
- Start by mixing 1/4 cup of the warm water, honey and yeast together until completely dissolved.
- In a separate large bowl, add the flour and salt. Pour in the dissolved yeast mixture and remaining warm water. Mix with hands until a ball of dough forms.
- Bring the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 3 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when the dough is smooth.
- Put the ball back into a clean bowl and cover with a damp towel for 2 hours in a cool spot.
- After 2 hours, take the dough and split into 2 or 4 (depending on the number of pizzas you want to make) and stretch the sides of each ball and tuck it back into the bottom. Repeat for 5 times. On an unfloured surface, roll into a ball for about a minute until surface is smooth. Repeat with the remaining dough. Put back into bowl and cover with a new damp towel for an hour.Now it’s time to turn the dough flat to make your pizza! Alternatively, if you want to save the dough for another day, wrap the dough balls in plastic and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Preheat the oven to 500 F.
- Take the dough and lay on a floured surfaced. Use a rolling pin to rollout the dough into desired shape and thickness. We’re big fans of crispy thin crust so we rolled it out to about 3-4 mm.
- Place the rolled out dough on lightly oiled parchment paper. Begin to place your toppings. Sauce first, cheese, vegetables and then meat. You may also want to drizzle some flavoured olive oil onto your pizza as a last step.
- Pop the pizza with parchment paper directly onto the oven rack for about 10 minutes. Remember, it’s important to put the pizza onto the rack and not a tray to get the crispiness we all know and love.